1) Most people don't have trouble entertaining or admitting to the fact that there's in all probability a higher being. What people struggle with is giving over their lives and living their lives for Him.
2) In churches, the topic of submission is often a hot topic. Two points to this subject: a) Submission starts with the man. As the head of the household, he should submit to Christ. No if's and buts. b) It's not submission that's the problem, but rather who you submit to that is more of the pressing point.
3) The irony of life is that most people would agree that they know themselves the best. But to each person, do they know themselves 100%? The answer is no.
4) Veritas vos liberabit. The truth shall set you free.
5) The Bible points to faith not being without reason. Examples of this include Mathew 6 when Jesus says "consider the birds". In some translations it will say "look" but not strictly in a visual sense but to look and think upon. Faith makes us consider the possibilities. Unfortunately this world is a wretched place. Justice is not complete, pain, and suffering are rampant. All that I have seen teaches me to trust God for all I have not seen.
6) I can't believe I'm going to write this but I will. Notorious B.I.G. (Yes I'm quoting Biggie Smalls) once said, "If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man." The game will shake us and be used to break us to build us up better than before. If your foundation is not the right one, then you will be shaken until you are completely broken and you have the right foundation. After all, there's beauty in the broken.
7) When you truly sign your life over to Christ, it is inevitable and should be expected that trials, tribulation, and pain will come. (2 Timothy 3:12) In my case, I've realized that there has been seemingly constant rains in my life. But I endure, by grace, the seemingly constant rains of this life to enjoy the eternal sunshine of the next. In short: being a genuine Christian is truly hard. No wonder it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.
8) I used to define humility strictly as not thinking less of yourself, but thinking about yourself less. However that is an incomplete definition. As Driscoll points out, "The answer to pride is not humility. Humility is a byproduct of getting to know Jesus. Hence the answer to pride is getting to know Jesus."
9) It's usually not a huge event that burns someone out, but the daily grind and conundrum which we call life that wears a person out. When we are putting our noses so close to the grind stone, it's hard to settle back and see things in perspective. Most growth cannot be seen, but it can be measured.
10) The world is more populated than it's ever been before but yet the level of self has never been higher.
11) Finally people seem to want to understand and know everything about God. Objections to God usually go "Well if God is all good then why does He do blah blah blah". Questions can be valid questions. However, it should be conceded that if this Higher being is much Higher than us then it only makes sense that there are certain things or aspects of Him we will never FULLY understand. What this is subconsciously is that people can't create this God in their minds, hearts, or wherever it may be because they do not fully understand. After all you can only create something only if you fully understand it.
Lessons as a Pastoral Intern at an Asian Church
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment