Monday, February 20, 2012

Resolved

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest theologians of all time and is considered the greatest mind that America has produced. He’s known for many accomplishments but the one in particular I’d like to mention are his Resolutions which he started at the age of 17. Obviously I am not Jonathan Edwards nor am I anywhere close to who Jonathan Edwards is. However I write these Resolutions because the practice and application of such will help me in the process of furthering my growth in many phases but most importantly my spiritual growth.

__________________________________________________________

I write these knowing that I cannot do anything on my own accord or by my own power. These are only possible by God's strength and by His grace which is renewed every morning. (Lamentations 3:23) If it is God's will I hope to achieve as such these resolutions for the purposes of a) God's glory and b) my own sanctification to become more like Christ Jesus.

To read at least once a week:

1. Resolved that it should be such that my attitude toward prayer is not of one that I should pray but that of a fervent one: understanding my utter dependency on God that I must absolutely pray.

2. Resolved that my most fervent of prayers would be for the things not seen that matter for the everlasting of such. Case in point being the forgiveness of sins, open doors to evangelize to non believers, and for boldness yet with clarity when those chances do come. (Colossians 4:3-4) As important as it is to pray for daily bread, this should be the absolutely MOST urgent of all prayers.

3. Resolved that if I ever feel calloused, tired, or apathetic toward prayer that I would repent and just be real with God about how I am and that in no way, shape, or form does this justify the situation. This is the "Keeping it Real" rule.

4. Resolved to be not just on time to service or Bible study but early to prepare my heart so that when worship starts that is not when I start praying to prep. Worship is worship time and I shall be prepared to come ready.

5. Resolved that I would discipline my body and make it my slave. If I cannot disciple my body, how can I control my thoughts? (1 Corinthians 9:27)

6. Resolved that I would make every minute purposeful.

7. Resolved to believe with all my mind, strength, heart, and soul that God is in control not over just the ends but the means as well. (Genesis 50:20) Everything that has happened in my life good or bad has happened according to God’s will and has happened for a reason. I’m given these things because I can handle them. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

8. Resolved to continually preach to myself and remember that sometimes the thorn is the gift. I cannot want Pauline theology without enduring Pauline like pain and suffering.

9. Resolved that in whatever I do whether in speech, thought, or deed to do it for God's glory as the main purpose and goal. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

10. Resolved that even though people may rub me the wrong way, be unreasonable, treat me with ill will, or frustrate me to the depths of my core that I would continually by God's grace and His grace alone treat them with kindness and grace in remembrance of grace received, totally undeserved, from that of the Lord Jesus Christ.

11. Resolved in knowing the above that I may not like the individual but that I will love them by dying to myself. If I fail to do so, to repent accordingly.

12. Resolved that I would not count my words, but that each word I utter would count. (Proverbs 12:23) To always respond to a situation and to never react.

13. Resolved to not work in vain but that I would approach each situation tactfully and appropriately. (1 Corinthians 9:26)

14. Resolved to remember Jeremiah 17:7-8 as my life verse. There will be different seasons in my life, but that God willing, I will always to the best of my ability be diligent in working and bearing fruit for His Kingdom. My mind is on the Kingdom and the Kingdom is on my mind aka the “Ice Cube” rule.

15. Resolved to not be discouraged if I do not necessarily see fruit in my life knowing that my role is simply to be obedient to His will to the best of my ability. I may water or I may sow, but I can never make fruit grow. (1 Corinthians 3:26-27)

16. Resolved that I would not just know Scripture but that I would truly know Scripture as in who it is about and who it truly points toward. This requires and manifests itself not only in daily time with God but wrestling with ideas that I may not receive the truth about right away.

17. Resolved that if at first I don’t succeed, to dust myself off and try again. Knowing that these are a work in process just starting here in my life and will not be perfected until I am with the Lord. This is the “Aaliyah Rule”.

18. Resolved that although I would want nothing more from the bottom of my heart than to depart from this life and be with God, I am here and not taken away for a reason. It’s time to work. (Phil 1:23-26) True rest will come when I am back with my Maker.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment